Finally, the project is out of the ground. It seemed like this day would never come, however, on Jan 18th, I had delivered all the framing material needed for the project. Now, it was starting to look like something. Neighbors began to stop by and ask questions.
The framing is 2 x 6 studs, which were used for the extra insulation space in the walls. The floor is 16 feet clear span, so 2 x 10 were used for the joists. The second floor is 7′ 6 inches, to keep the overall height of the structure down a little bit. As Denis said, you don’t want something that looks like a missile silo. I don’t know, those things can be kind of attractive in a post civilization kind of way.
The gambrel roof is a part of the look. For that, the 2 x 6 framing had to be cut extensively. That took almost all morning to do.
I put a 2 x 6 inch beam from the end of the ridge over the double window. In older barns, there were doors on the second floor (where the windows will go), and the beam was for attaching a block and tackle for hoisting hey into the hay loft. I figured we would do something with the siding to make the second floor windows look like doors as an architectural detail.
Second floor sheathing on the gambrel roof was a chore, and required a set of scaffolding and two people. But it went along just fine. There is only the roof to finish, then we will put on the TYPAR house wrap and the roofing felt.
At this point, we are ready for the framing inspection. After that, we will install the windows and doors, put on the roofing shingles and siding. The siding is still being discussed, as we will match house siding to the barn siding, there is some debate on color choices. I believe we have decided on the
In keeping with the theme of these posts, here are the materials for framing:
|Quantity||Description||Price each (USD)||Price total (USD)|
|2||Sill seal foam 5.5” x 50’||5.44||10.88|
|6||Treated 2 x 6 x 12||8.44||50.62|
|2||Doug fir 2 x 6 x 20||12.16||24.32|
|4||SPF 2 x 6 x 16||8.52||34.06|
|10||SPF 2 x 6 x 14||7.45||74.50|
|24||SPF 2 x 6 x 12||6.39||153.36|
|34||SPF 2 x 6 x 10||5.32||180.95|
|90||SPF precuts 2 x 6 x 7||4.35||391.23|
|1||SPF 2 x 8 x 20||14.52||14.52|
|16||SPF 2 x 8 x 16||10.98||175.74|
|34||SPF 2 x 8 x 10||6.87||233.41|
|16||Doug Fir 2 x 10 x 18||19.17||306.69|
|8||SPF 2 x 10 x 12||10.89||87.14|
|2||SPF 2 x 10 x 10||9.08||18.16|
|2||Doug fir 2 x 4 x 20||8.09||16.18|
|52||½ CDX 4 x 8 ply||18.10||941.20|
|10||¾ FIR T&G 4 x 8 ply||27.81||278.08|
|1||TYPAR 3 x 100||43.54||43.54|
|5||Felt #30 roll||20.14||100.70|
With delivery charge and other expenses the total came to $4,318.38, making the running total $9,475.00
This post brings the project up to date, as the last picture is what I see this morning looking out the window.